Saturday, September 7, 2013

Five for Friday: Spetember 6th

Happy Weekend Everyone! I am linking up with Doodles Bugs Teaching for another installment of Five for Friday!
 
Be sure to stop by an get a peek at everyone's week. :)
 
1. Someone is a Genius!
 I found this on the kindergarten math book that I inherited. So genius! No more bindings that come unraveled. It looks like the creator just hot glued the bead in place at the end. When I find out who did this, I will be shaking their hand.
 
2. Just had a good laugh at myself.
Apparently, I am a subconsciously a little more wiped out this week than I thought. I was just cleaning my kitchen counters and realized that I have had my eye drops sitting by my coffee maker all week. Ha! Hmmm...that's one way to get a refreshed morning look. I am just going to leave them. It seems like a legitimate plan. :)


3. Just when I thought I was done laughing at myself!
 
I would like to start by saying that I love my calendar. I was so fortunate to have inherited a homemade calendar set from a former teacher. She made all of the months of the year letters different to match the month (these ones are made out of wallpaper) and each month, the date cards are different picture patterns. Love it!
 
Now here is where I can't believe that myself and all of the adults that has been in my room this week. I was off by one day on the date this week, THE ENTRIE WEEK! Oh my! I'll just quickly change it Monday and cross my fingers that no one notices.
 
4. For the Love of Pete
I had an unfortunate/fortunate event happen this last week. I was out of town last Friday and had requested one of my favorite subs for the day. Upon arrival, our school realized that 2 other teachers didn't have subs so they pulled mine for another classroom. Here is me grinding my teeth. They then split my kiddos with the other 2 kindergarten classrooms. Let's be fair....... at first I was very upset understatement because of all of the planning, the inconvenience to my coteachers, and to my kiddos but now I think it is a blessing. Let me tell you why, I planned for the sub to teach Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes sub plans by Peace, Love, and Learning. They are very thoughtfully done, too fun, and free! Since my sub was pulled though, I got to teach about Pete. Yay me! I love me some Pete!

The kiddos really liked making a Pete book of their own, and we practiced tying our own shoes after matching up the shape shoes.

Here's our interactive writing of labeling the parts of Pete. The kiddos loved sharing the pen and we will be doing much more activities like this. Also, if you have never seen Mr. Eric read/sing this story, I highly recommend that you You Tube it.
 
5. Quick Assessment for the Start of the Year


I love having a sign in during Back to School Night! Just looking at their handwriting tells you so much about a child and where they are in their learning. With a quick glance, I can tell who is able to write their name without assistance. Who knows their capital and lowercase letters and how to form them. It also tells me how the students fine motor skills are.

I also then have them sign in every morning. It is amazing to see how much they grow in a short amount of time.

Thanks for stopping by! Have an amazing weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my word I hate when they take my sub after I have already made the plans. I almost wish I would have known that before I put all that work into the plans. I'm glad it worked out for you though.


    Krystyn
    Ms Richards's Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krystyn! I can't agree more. I had to push a bunch of things back because I was going to piggy back on the what the sub did. Oh well though! Planning for next week was easier. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh I hate when they switch my sub out....it basically sucks (for lack of a better word!) LOL Love the cute activities though that you had planned. (And whoever came up with that bead idea---genius!)

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just came across your blog- super cute! I hadn't heard about Pete the Cat until last week from our music teacher (can you believe it?!) , and my kids loved it!

    Ellie
    Miss Woodward's Class

    ReplyDelete