Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Noodle Dying Tips for Wednesday and a Very Hungry Inspired Necklace

Anyone who has ever been on my little blog or in my classroom knows that I have a small obsession love for Eric Carle. Basically, I think that he is the cat's pajamas. Anyhoo....as I was looking through my blog posts, I realized that the beginning of the year came and went with such a blur that I never talked about the Very Hungry Caterpillar necklaces we made on the first day.

Aren't they the cutest?! All we needed to make these were some hole punched construction paper, ribbon, and noodles; however, if you are working with little ones, I highly recommend that you attach a bead to the end of each ribbon.
 
 

I was talking with a colleague this week about how I dye noodles and I thought maybe this is advice the world needs. Then again maybe not, but let's roll with it! :)

All you need is:
-Dry noodles or rice (I used a whole box to make my necklaces and had plenty extra.)
-1 to 2 tablespoons Rubbing Alcohol (Start with 1 tablespoon, and if the noodles look like they are not getting enough liquid to coat the sides, add a little more.)
- Food Coloring of choice (Do not use the gel coloring, it does not fully dry.)
-Gallon sized plastic bag
-Cookie sheet or tray
-Newspapers
Add the first 3 ingredients to the gallon sized bag, seal, and shake like a polaroid picture.

If you have already mixed thoroughly and found that your noodles are not bright enough, just add more dye and mix again.


Lay out the noodles on a cookie sheet lined with newspaper. I like to shuffle the noodles around 30 minutes after laying them out. I usually let them set out over night to make sure they are fully dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment