Saturday, August 17, 2013

Five for Friday: August 16th

I am linking up again with Doodle Bus for Five for Friday. I actually need to be saying Five for Fraturday! Our building had Back to School Night last night and after it was over, I just wanted to crawl into bed and snooze. Any hoo! Here are my Five for the week.

1. Remembering How Far You've Come
I found myself a little frustrated that my classroom still wasn't exactly the way I wanted it to be. I didn't have every decoration up or have all of my plans already printed, copied, and ready to go. I was starting to make copious list of what need to be done and then I said to myself, "Self, you need to calm down. Look how far you've come." I needed to remind myself that my room needs to be ready for kids but decorations do not have to be perfect for the first day. I thought I'd show a little bit of where I've come and where I am now.

My new room after my kiddos helped me move. Don't worry I got everything put away and I talk more about that organizing adventure here.
 
What my room looked liked when I came back in last week.
 
This is a view of my front boards. I still need to finish the calendar and add my schedule but I don't have a class until Thursday. Lots of time.
 
View of my kids working space and back counter. Very sterile currently but I am going to add some fun borders and a lantern hungry caterpillar is going to go above the cabinets.

View of my library, listening center, and sensory table. We are out of laminate right now so I have to wait to laminate my cute book basket labels and lots of other things. Oh well...just roll with it!
 
View from my kiddos backpack hooks. I have a rug on order! So excited.

2. Kindergarten Schedule
Our kindergarten schedule this year is a little different than it has been in years past. This year we are testing kiddos on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Each family has a 20 minute block. This allows us time to test and then go over kindergarten expectations and answer any questions.

Then on Thursday, I have the top half of my class comes to school for the whole day and on Friday, have the bottom half of my class comes for a whole day. With this format you can really teach all of those important skills of how we use the bathroom and wash hands, how we get our lunch, and how we go home. Plus with the smaller groups, kiddos get to know you better and begin feel comfortable quicker.

On Monday, I will then have my whole class all together. This will be where the real fun begins.
3. Daily Schedule
Here is a look of what I am thinking about for my daily schedule once we get the ball rolling.
We are also going to adding music into our day once a week but I'm not sure where that will go.
4. Mike Wazkowski
I was recently able to go back to Idaho to visit some of my favorite people. While I was there, I couldn't help but stop and see what the landscapers at Community Park put up this year. Every year they make a character out of the flowers. They have done the Cat in the Hat, Shrek, and this year is Mike Wazkowski from Monsters Inc.
 
Super amazing! You can't tell by the picture but down the side of the garden is his name, Mike in flowers. Too clever!
5. Teachers Pay Teachers Sale
Teachers Pay Teachers is having a big sale on Monday and Tuesday so be sure to check in and get stocked up for the school year. I will have all of my items on sale as well so be sure to stop by!
 
Thanks for swinging by and be sure to check out all of the fabulous teachers linking up with Doodle Bugs for Five for Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment