Friday, August 9, 2013

Five for Friday

I'm so happy to be linking up again with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Here are my top 5 for the week.

1. I am so Glad I Took the Time to Do This Last Year.
I've talked a little bit about having to switch grades but I have not yet talked about moving rooms. Since I was going to kindergarten, they wanted me to switch to the classroom catty corner from my current room so I would be directly next to the other kindergarten teachers. The teacher who was currently in that room was moving to my spot in first grade so the move made perfect sense. Anyhoo! On our last day, we decided that we would recruit our kiddos to help up. I thought maybe they could take their chairs and some book boxes. Little things.....boy was I wrong. These kids were well oiled machines. I was moved into my new room within an hour and a half. At the end, I was handing kiddos things like a tape dispenser, a stray book, and a glue stick to move. Then the next kid would get a manipulative tub and a table caddie. It was nuts and they were AMAZING! I appreciated them so much.
 
Here's where the story goes a little sour but no worries it has a happy ending. This was how they stacked my stuff in my new room.
 
 
Holy Pickles! I could have died! The scary thing is the pictures don't show all of it. Ahh!
 
 
Then I took a deep breath and remember that hours of work and moving was condensed into a little over an hour. I rewarded my little movers with a well deserved Capri Sun and a treat.
 
Now here's the happier part...I took this scary mountain and went through it slowly and put it away in organized fashion. I came in 2 extra morning past my final Work Day to get everything cleared up. I am so glad I did because these are some pictures of the cabinets that I am coming back to this year.
One of my reading cabinets. I love that I left myself a ladybug to look at.

This is one of my math cabinets.

Reading books organized by subject.

My craft and supply closet. Love this closet! Click here to see how I organized it all in more detail.
 
2. Things I have Accomplished this week
I was able to get into my classroom for a little bit this week and start rearranging and getting my classroom back in order. Here are some pics of what is done so far.

I added scrunch borders to all of my corkboards. Click here to learn how. I love all of the colors. So bright!


I also made Mr. Sun from the Eric Carle books. He is the first of many characters to make an appearance. Click here to learn how I painted and put him together.
 
4. I Will be Doing This, This Year!
Glitter Germs!  Put it on the teacher's hands, and then have everyone, including the teacher, shake hands with everyone.  Notice how the "germs" spread!        
Love this Glitter Germ idea from Little Miss Kindergarten! You put some of the hand sanitizer on your hand and then have everyone shake hands. Notice how the "germs" spread! So good for teaching hand washing habits.
When they know letter/sound, they add that letter to their tree!  Great assessment idea!
The fabulous Mrs. Jump has her students add letters to their tree when they know the sound/letter. Super cute and a great visual for working on letters. Will definitely be doing this!
 
3. Thinking About the First Week Back
lol - and this is why I spend time in my room throughout the summer :-D
Not very nice but so true! Ha. I am at a constant state of writing to do lists and then running to my room to get something, anything done during break times.
5. Living Up My Last Couple Day of Summer With Some Fun and Sun!
One of my best friend's is getting married this weekend. I am so honored to be her Maid of Honor and be there on her special day. I am also excited about the rehearsal dinner being at the Rockies Game and for getting my groove on, on the dance floor!
 
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get to enjoy some fun in the sun this weekend as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment